Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: July 23, 2019
Business AnalystUS-IA-Cedar RapidsJob ID: 2019-2061Type: Regular
Full-Time# of Openings: 1Category: Project Management OfficeCedar
RapidsOverviewUFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a
trustworthy, financially stable company. While we?ve always known
our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good
to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an
Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive
years, and included on Forbes? ?America?s Most Trustworthy
Financial Companies? every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a
super-regional property and casualty insurer rated ?A? (Excellent)
by A.M. Best Company. UFG is seeking a business analyst to serve as
a liaison between our business units and the development team,
working to elicit and define system requirements and turn them into
technical specifications. Our business analysts work in a
fast-paced, highly collaborative, challenging, and ever-changing
environment. We are looking for an energetic individual with strong
business analysis experience who thrives on building high quality
business technology systems. If you're an analytical thinker who
has ingenious, creative ideas and enjoys problem-solving with
technological improvements, then read on to learn what it takes to
join our outstanding organization. Responsibilities
- Gather and document business requirements through interviews,
document analysis, workshops, surveys, business process
descriptions, and task and workflow analysis.
- Translate business needs into application and operational
- Analyze and review all specified requirements. Identify
requirements users expect but have not verbalized.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to
establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between
usability and performance needs.
- Specify the functional requirements at a suitable level of
detail for the developers who will implement them.
- Define and write detailed requirements for the programmers and
developers. Requires should include, but is not limited to:
functional specifications which clearly describe how the program
will work from the user?s perspective, i.e. screens, menus,
dialogs, etc.; external interfaces; performance requirements, i.e.
response time, availability, cross-platform compatibility, etc.;
all system inputs, outputs and events; all data sources, ranges of
values, default values and data format; all system edits, including
- Automate business rules and procedures by reviewing and
analyzing process, and subsequently specifying system changes to
- Manage project scope. Evaluate change requests to project scope
based on perceived benefits and the impact on the original project
dates. Communicate project scope changes to team members, managers
and other stakeholders.
- For projects that have not been assigned to QA, develop testing
plans, test scripts and conduct tests to assure programs perform
according to requirements.
- Maintain copies of testing documentation as needed to comply
with audit requirements.
- Assist agents and systems users by resolving questions and
problems. Maintain a record of problems and solutions.
- Conduct acceptance testing for projects that have not been
assigned to Quality Assurance.
- Keep current in new technologies to stay current on new
- Other duties as assigned.Qualifications
- Four-year college degree in business or related discipline
- 3 - 5 years of business analyst experience
- 3 - 5 years of insurance experience is desired
- Demonstrated success in writing detailed software requirements
for large, complex projects.
- Ability to work well with business leaders, project team
members, vendors, application developers and programmers.
- Certified or working toward a Business Analyst certification
such as CCBA, CBAP.
- Insurance coursework or designations which include: AINS, API,
AU, AIT, CPCU or any Life Office Management Associate (LOMA)
classes or designations, are desired.
- Thorough knowledge of business analyst principles and
- Understanding of our corporate strategies and the operational
issues of our business units.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with
people from many disciplines and with varying degrees of business
and technical experience.
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both
verbally and in writing, to diverse groups of people.
- Strong leadership, facilitation, negotiation, mentoring and
personnel management skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage
multiple priorities and work under deadlines.
- Technical background sufficient to understand the issues
involved with our automation projects, and be able to anticipate
and identify technical obstacles and make good decisions.
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , Business Analyst, Professions , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!