Company: UFG Insurance
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: May 18, 2019
UFG is seeking a Business Analyst to serve as a liaison between our
business units and the development team, working to elicit and
define system requirements and turn them into technical
specifications. Our business analysts work in a fast-paced, highly
collaborative, challenging, and ever-changing environment. We are
looking for an energetic individual with strong business analysis
experience who thrives on building high quality business technology
systems. If you're an analytical thinker who has ingenious,
creative ideas and enjoys problem-solving with technological
improvements, then read on to learn what it takes to join our
- Gather and document business requirements through interviews,
document analysis, workshops, surveys, business process
descriptions, and task and workflow analysis.
- Translate business needs into application and operational
- Analyze and review all specified requirements. Identify
requirements users expect but have not verbalized.
- Collaborate with developers and subject matter experts to
establish the technical vision and analyze tradeoffs between
usability and performance needs.
- Define and write detailed requirements for the programmers and
developers that will program them. Requirements should include, but
are not limited to: functional specifications which clearly
describe how the program will work from the user's perspective,
i.e. screens, menus, dialogs, etc.; external interfaces;
performance requirements, i.e. response time, availability,
cross-platform compatibility, etc.; all system inputs, outputs and
events; all data sources, ranges of values, default values and data
format; all system edits, including messages.
- Automate business rules and procedures by reviewing and
analyzing process, and subsequently specifying system changes to
- Manage project scope. Evaluate change requests to project scope
based on perceived benefits and the impact on the original project
dates. Communicate project scope changes to team members, managers
and other stakeholders.
- For projects that have not been assigned to QA, develop testing
plans, test scripts and conduct tests to assure programs perform
according to requirements.
- Maintain copies of testing documentation as needed to comply
with audit requirements.
- Assist agents and systems users by resolving questions and
problems. Maintain a record of problems and solutions.
- Keep current in new technologies to stay current on new
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four-year college degree in business or related discipline
- 3+ years of experience as a Business Analyst on projects
involving the following:
- Data/Reporting and/or Analytics
- Reporting frameworks such as IBM Cognos and/or SSRS
- Business Intelligence, Enterprise Data Warehouse, ETL
- SQL, DML, DQL and/or others
- 3+ years of insurance experience is desired
- Demonstrated success in writing detailed software requirements
for large, complex projects
- Demonstrated experience in creating data and process
- Demonstrated experience in creating data models and/or
- Ability to work well with business leaders, project team
members, vendors, application developers and programmers.
- Certified or working toward a Business Analyst certification
such as CCBA or CBAP.
- Insurance coursework or designations which include: AINS, API,
AU, AIT or CPCU designations are desired.
- Thorough knowledge of business analyst principles and
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with
people from many disciplines and with varying degrees of business
and technical experience.
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both
verbally and in writing, to diverse groups of people.
- Strong leadership, facilitation, negotiation, mentoring and
personnel management skills.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage
multiple priorities and work under deadlines.
- Technical background sufficient to understand the issues
involved with automation projects, and be able to anticipate and
identify technical obstacles and make good decisions.
Keywords: UFG Insurance, Cedar Rapids , Business Analyst, Professions , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!