4-H and Youth Summer Intern
Company: Iowa State Extension & Outreach Linn County
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: November 20, 2019
Summer, temporary position, 40 hours per week.
Hourly commensurate with education and experience; Wage Range:
$10-$12 per hour ISU Extension and Outreach — Linn County
This position will have a primary focus on office support and
coordination/communication for Linn
County 4-H and summer outreach programming for youth in Linn
County. Summer Interns will support Linn County Fair preparation,
activities and events at the Linn County Fair through early July.
Throughout the summer, the position will also support summer youth
programmings such as day camps and other youth outreach events. The
summer intern will assist with organization, planning, and teaching
the research-based curriculum to Kindergarten-8th-grade youth in
day camp settings as well as perform general office duties.
- High school diploma plus a minimum of 2 years' post-secondary
studies or equivalent experience in youth development, education,
public relations or related fields required.
- Must be able to be approved under the ISU Extension child
protection policy with a background check.
- Interest in working directly with youth and leading educational
- Ability to be around farm livestock for extended periods of
- Must be available for the Linn County Fair prep and events
(June 20- July 1, 2020).
- Computer literacy required (MS Office including Word, Excel,
Publisher, Online database systems, fluent with e-mail
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere with minimal
- Problem solving skills, organizational skills, and multitasking
- Ability to complete scheduled tasks on time.
- Effectively communicate with all age groups.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Licensed driver and access to a vehicle.
- 4-H background either as a member or volunteer preferred.
- Experience working directly with youth.
Other qualities desired
- Positive attitude
- Interpersonal skills
- Team player
Reporting of Activities:
- The Summer Youth Program Assistant will attend regular staff
meetings and work closely with the Linn County Youth Coordinator,
Linn County Youth Outreach Educator, County Extension Program
Director, and other staff. Accountable to the Linn County
Agricultural Extension Council and all its policies.
- Assist in letter writing, preparing brochures/booklets and
- Collection and management of registrations, entries and other
- Daily customer service- distributing information and handling
transactions with clients via email, mail, phone and in-person
- Other clerical duties as needed to support programming
Program Assistant/Support Staff:
- Assist with the delivery of summer 4-H & youth camps
- Prepare and organize workshop/camp materials as necessary
- Attend workshops/camps to help carry out programming
- Assist in planning, organizing and conducting the 4-H/Youth
activities at the Linn County Fair.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing paperwork, assisting with livestock
- Shows and sale, data entry and management, and general support
of livestock and exhibit hall activities.
- During the fair, additional hours will be required.
- Conduct evaluations and collect/report information for annual
- Assist with preparation and delivery of other Extension
programs as needed
- Any other related duties deemed necessary by the County
- Participate in positive youth development training.
- Participate in training on each summer camp that will be
- (40 hours per week for 10 weeks) Must be available for the
dates of June 20- July 1, 2020, for scheduled hours.
- Mileage for use of the personal vehicles in the performance of
approved duties will be paid at the current. Linn County travel
- Internship and College Credit: If enrolled in college and in
need of college credit, with prior approval, Extension staff will
cooperate with your institution in filling this need.
Keywords: Iowa State Extension & Outreach Linn County, Cedar Rapids , 4-H and Youth Summer Intern, Other , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!