Patient Care Technician-Medical/Urology
Company: UnityPoint Health
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Description of Position:
Provide a "snapshot" or the principal purpose or focus of the
position, consisting of no more than three to five sentences. This
summary should provide enough information to differentiate the
major function and activities of the position from those of other
The Patient Care Technician (PCT) is responsible for a variety
of tasks and services to assist in the provision of care and
comfort for patients under the direct supervision of a Registered
Nurse (RN). The PCT will report and record observations and
contribute to the efficient functionality of the department.
Essential functions are the duties and responsibilities that are
essential to the position (not a task list). Do not include if less
than 5% of work time is spent on this duty. Be specific without
giving explicit instructions on how to perform the task. Do not
include duties that are to be performed in the future. Duties
should be action oriented and avoid vague or general
% of Time
- Partners with the RN and other healthcare team members to
achieve patient care outcomes and goals of care, as identified in
the plan of care.
- Obtains records and/or accurately enters data into the EMR, as
identified in the PCT Scope of Practice. Competency validation and
documentation of skill performance is required.
- Performs specific tasks as directed by the RN and other
healthcare team members, following competency validation.
- May assist with responsibilities of the Unit Secretary, per
department expectations and appropriate competency validation.
- Assist patients with activities of daily living.
- May assist in transporting medications that are not controlled
substances from pharmacy delivery devices to medication storage
areas on patient care unit, as well as transporting medications
from patient care unit to pharmacy.
- Demonstrates an awareness of patient and personal safety.
- Incorporates St. Luke's Comfort/C.A.R.E. Professional Practice
Model in their daily care.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with
patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers.
Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is
legible, if handwritten, and done in a timely manner using approved
- Verbally presents factual, concise, and timely information
and/or patient care data to the RN, the healthcare team, patients
and/or family members in a professional manner.
- Real-time EMR documentation is done in accordance with hospital
and unit policies.
- Hand-offs will be done with attention to detail and with safety
as a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient
treatment and assessment information, patient education needs,
goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of
caregiver or setting of care.
- Collaborates with healthcare team to provide patient care.
o Consults with RN and/or other healthcare team members, as
o Obtains instruction and supervision, as necessary, when
implementing new or unfamiliar tasks or duties.
o Complies with established department routines, policies and
- Basic UPH Performance Criteria
- Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of
Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety
- Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with
regular, reliable attendance.
- Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications
required for the position.
- Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, TJC, DNV, OSHA and
other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
- Completes all annual education and competency requirements
within the calendar year.
- Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance
requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g.
Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any
questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate
attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate
action on concerns reported by department staff related to
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that required of the employee. Other duties,
responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any
time with or without notice.
Demonstration of UPH Values and Standards of Behaviors
Consistently demonstrates UnityPoint Health's values in the
performance of job duties and responsibilities
- Leverage the skills and abilities of each person to enable
- Collaborate across departments, facilities, business units and
- Seek to understand and are open to diverse thoughts and
Own The Moment:
- Connect with each person treating them with courtesy,
compassion, empathy and respect
- Enthusiastically engage in our work.
- Accountable for our individual actions and our team
- Responsible for solving problems regardless of the origin.
- Commit to the best outcomes and highest quality.
- Have a relentless focus on exceeding expectations.
- Believe in sharing our results, learning from our mistakes and
celebrating our successes.
- Embrace and promote innovation and transformation.
- Create partnerships that improve care delivery in our
- Have the courage to challenge the status quo.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the
essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the
- High School diploma or GED
- Completion of a fundamentals course in nursing school
- At least one year of clinical experience
- Maintain current BLS certification
- Valid driver's license when driving any vehicle for
- C.N.A. or Prepare to Care certificate
- Writes, reads, speaks, and comprehends fluent English
- Be able to complete a basic computer course on the Electronic
Medical Record (EMR) through in-hospital training
- Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential
functions of the position.
Keywords: UnityPoint Health, Cedar Rapids , Patient Care Technician-Medical/Urology, Other , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!