Junior Software Developer - Operating Systems
Company: Iowa Interstate Railroad
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Design, run, and test various computer programs and applications.
Applicant must possess the ability to create new applications and
Lead or assist in shoring up data management and internal computer
programs by creating new feature development(s), product testing
and maintenance of our current systems.
Reports To: Director – Operating Systems
Supervises: No direct reports
- Analyze user needs and develop software solutions.
- Work with project manager or product owner to meet
- Recommend software upgrades to optimize operational
- Support software lifecycle, to include design, developing and
- Work closely with internal departments to provide personalized
- Troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Managing technical documentation.
- Available as needed in case of software failure.
- Work with 3rd party vendors to diagnose and resolve issues
related to software and utilities.
- Occasional after hours or weekend work required as workload or
- Performs other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education, Licenses/Certifications and Work Experience:
- One – two years of experience in software development and
- A code sample that shows the quality and type of work
representative of your capabilities.
- Development experience with PHP 7+ and MySQL is
- Development experience with any or all of the following:
M and or DAX is desired.
- Unix experience is preferred.
- Git or another version control software / tool experience is
- Layout and design (UI/UX) experience is desired.
- Must possess and maintain a current and valid driver's license
and be insurable under IAIS's commercial auto policy throughout
Skills, knowledge, abilities, and mental requirements:
- Strong technical skills with good problem-solving
- Must have good interpersonal skills to effectively interact
with colleagues from various departments and executive
- Must be able to listen and understand user's technical needs or
problems and implement solutions to them.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships
with co-workers, management, and customers (internal and
- Communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing.
Must be able to understand the users' problems and needs and
- Willingness to adapt and evolve to technology changes
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Deadline and detail-oriented
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time at a computer
terminal or in automobile during travel times.
- Must be able to lift computer equipment such as desktop PC's,
Monitors and Network printers, up to 50 pounds.
- May be stressful at times due to interruptions and multiple
tasks to be completed.
- Constant (67-100%) talking and hearing either on the telephone
or in person, repetitive motion, and viewing a computer and other
types of close visual work.
Position involves working mostly in an office setting and a small
amount of traveling to maintain systems at remote locations.
Incumbent may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions or
noise levels while in field locations. The job requires the
individual to follow IAIS and federal standard safety procedures
and to avoid possible injuries.
The statements stated in this job description reflect the general
duties as necessary to describe the basic functions, essential job
responsibilities and duties, performance criteria, job requirements
and working conditions typically required, and should not be
considered an all-inclusive listing of the job. Individuals may
perform other duties as assigned, including work in other
functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work
periods or otherwise balance the workload.
- Health ($80.00/Single, $160/EE +One or $250/Family)
- Dental ($0.00 per month)
- Vision ($6.00/Single & $16.00/Family)
- Term Life/AD&D ($0.00 per month) Eligible 1st of the month
after 60 days
- 401K with Company Match (75% up to 6% match) Eligible after 60
days of employment
- Railroad Retirement
- Paid Holidays & Vacation
Keywords: Iowa Interstate Railroad, Cedar Rapids , Junior Software Developer - Operating Systems, IT / Software / Systems , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!