RN / LPN Behavioral Health
Company: UnityPoint Health
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: June 15, 2019
Apply today to learn more about our Behavioral Health Units!!
Opportunities available on any of our 3 Behavioral Health Units and
our Behavioral Health Float PoolPOSITION SUMMARYThe RN/LPN is
responsible for the delivery of safe and reliable patient care, in
coordination with the healthcare team. The primary role of the RN
is the execution of the nursing process in providing required care
and evaluation of the care given. Responsibilities include:
assessment, nursing diagnosis related to focus problem areas,
planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care.
Performance of these responsibilities requires specialized
knowledge, critical thinking and skills based on principles of
psychological, social, physical and biological sciences that
utilize the nursing process.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The associate is aware of hospital and department compliance
for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and
Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or
concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of
department or hospital administrative staff.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical
manner in support of the hospital's commitment to ethical behavior
in all areas of personal and professional activity.
- Successfully completes hospital-wide orientation, annual
hospital competencies and department specific competencies.
- For the safety of our patients and co-workers, St. Luke's
Hospital requires seasonal and job related vaccinations. This is
reviewed regularly during periodic health assessments.
- Performs patient care functions as required.
- Assumes primary responsibility for the plan of care through
their shift or episode of care for a patient or group of patients,
per unit standards and nursing care required for the specified
- Effectively delegates tasks and responsibilities to other
health care team members and assumes responsibility for follow-up
- Performs admission assessment process per specific department
standards to include patient history, physical, and psycho-social
assessment. Utilizes physical assessment data, diagnostic data
(lab, radiology, diagnostic testing), pharmacological information
and patient/family perceptions in formulating nursing diagnosis
related to focus problem areas and identifying goals of care.
- Assumes responsibility for developing a plan of care that is
mutually established with the patient and family. Each patient is
treated as an individual, with their identified goals and
expectations reviewed each shift to verify priorities.
- Implements the plan of care according to current standards of
nursing practice, evidence-based practice, and hospital
- Integrates multidisciplinary approach to maintain comfort,
support human functions and responses, and maintain an environment
conductive to safety and well-being. Implements measures to promote
a safe environment.
- Partners with healthcare team to achieve the patient care
outcomes and goals of care.
- Administers medications and nursing treatments within scope of
- Participates in care coordination of the patient across the
- Focuses plan of care on patient-centric goals.
- Focuses on patients' care needs across all sites of care.
- Collaborates with the patient/family to anticipate steps needed
to ensure safe transitions in care.Demonstrates effective
communication and safe hand-offs.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills with
patients, families, healthcare team members and other customers.
Verbal communication is clear and precise. Written communication is
legible, if handwritten, and done in a timely manner using approved
- Real-time Electronic Medical Record (EMR) documentation is done
in accordance with hospital and unit policies.
- Hand-offs are done with attention to detail and with safety as
a high priority. Hand-offs are utilized to communicate patient
treatment and assessment information, patient education needs,
goals of care and other quality care measures at each change of
caregiver or setting of care.
- Tools are consistently utilized for hand-offs to assure that
critical information is shared and updated with each hand-off.
- Communication with providers occurs during routine rounding and
- Supports evidence-based clinical practice and questions the
rationale and scientific basis for clinical practice and/or changes
- Complies with changes in clinical practice and standards.
- Participates in data collection when the opportunity is
- Supports/participates in interpretation of clinical literature
and uses to validate and/or change clinical practice. Utilizes
Advanced Practice Nurses to assist with research process.
- Provides educational opportunities for patients, families and
other healthcare team members .
- Integrates patient/family teaching throughout the
hospitalization, including the plan and goals of care, pre- and
post-operative procedures, diagnostic procedures, and discharge
- Integrates preventative health maintenance into the education
- Assists in the orientation of new associates by acting as a
resource and mentor to associates. Collaborates with unit
leadership, as appropriate. Serves in preceptor role, as
- Participates in the education experiences of students and/or RN
- Uses principles of health literacy.
- Utilizes evidenced based models of learning.
- Provides professional nursing practice through compliance with
established department routines, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in mandatory education and department staff
meetings, per established guidelines.
- Participates in shared governance and performance improvement
activities at the department and/or organization level.
- Maintains safety through use of established infection
prevention principles, safe patient handling programs, and speak up
- Continually maintains and strives to enhance personal technical
and clinical competence in all job related duties.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary to meet the
hospital's mission, to give the healthcare we'd like our loved ones
- Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
- Must have successfully completed an accredited nursing
- BSN preferred.Qualifications/Experience
- Must possess current RN or LPN licensure in the State of Iowa
or compact state.
Keywords: UnityPoint Health, Cedar Rapids , RN / LPN Behavioral Health, Healthcare , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!