Staff Nurse (RN) (Digestive Health)
Company: Mercy Medical Center - Cedar Rapids
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: January 8, 2021
This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered
care by being a competent, respectful, and compassionate
professional who is able to safely, appropriately, accurately,
efficiently and independently follow Mercy's standards along with
policies and procedures while caring for patients. The Registered
Staff Nurse works with the unit specific team members to identify
clinical problems, develop a plan, and educate patients and
families.Job Specific Duties/Essential Functions
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is
communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand
offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to
ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated
necessary information in order to allow for the best possible
- Demonstrates competent assessment, planning, intervention,
coordination and evaluation skills based on the individual patient
plan of care.
- Continually assesses patient and family needs in order to
provide quality care based on a patient centered care model.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and judgment necessary to
implement a patient plan of care, nursing interventions and
- Maintains accurate and real time documentation of nursing care
provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the
healthcare team, according to hospital policy and procedure related
to documentation parameters.
- Functions as a role model for current and new staff by creating
a healthy work environment to facilitate the department's or unit's
ability to meet identified goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all
patients, families, visitor and fellow employees to ensure a
professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Directs other licensed and non-licensed personnel in the
provision of care to patients as assigned.
- Demonstrate effective and age appropriate communication as well
as the ability to understand the needs of the patient including
non-verbal communication, fears, anxieties and language/cultural
- Responds within scope of practice to emergencies and life
- Adheres to and promotes patient safety practices throughout the
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of
the healthcare team.
- Provides ongoing education to patients and families.
- Delegates to other staff registered nurse, licensed practical
nurses, certified nursing assistants, patient care technicians,
unit secretaries, and other staff positions specific to the
department.Position Specific Job Duties/Essential Functions
- Demonstrates knowledge of moderate sedation medications,
actions, and reversal agents used.
- Demonstrates ability to recognize cardiac rhythms and knows how
to treat arrhythmias appropriately.
- Operates equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by
- Demonstrates ability to troubleshoot equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct
use of protective barrier equipment. This includes use of wire and
spyglass during ERCP procedures.
- Supports an environment that nurtures collaboration, teamwork,
and mutual respect through effective communication, demonstrated by
effective working relationships.
- Balances multiple priorities simultaneously, assuring the
timely and accurate completion of each task, and maintaining
quality standards.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Sound background in basic nursing principles and
- Demonstrates competency in unit specific skills.
- Demonstrates ability to provide safe and effective basic
- Role Models exemplary customer service skills including verbal
and non-verbal skills and proper phone etiquette.
- Creates a welcoming environment for all healthcare team
- Committed to ongoing self-development and learning.Professional
Experience- Required vs. Preferred
- Experience in acute care setting preferred.Education-Required
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing preferred.Licensure,
Certification, Registration - Required vs. Preferred
- Current license to practice as a registered nurse in the state
of Iowa or compact state required.
- Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support, in
accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support required within 1 year of hire or
transfer.Physical Activity Requirements
- Constant = 67-100% of workday
- Frequent = 34-66% of workday
- Use of fingers
- Repetitive motion
- Occasional = 33% or less of workday
- ClimbingPhysical Demand Requirements
- Heavy: Exert 50-100 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 25-50
lbs. of force frequentlyLocation: Mercy Medical Center - Cedar
Rapids -- Digestive Health CenterSchedule: Part Time, Day, Day
shift with rotating call.
Keywords: Mercy Medical Center - Cedar Rapids, Cedar Rapids , Staff Nurse (RN) (Digestive Health), Healthcare , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!