Underwriting Manager - Online Quoting Division
Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: July 14, 2019
Job ID 2019-2054# of Openings 1Job Locations US-IA-Cedar
RapidsPosted Date 2019-06-24Category UnderwritingTravel NoneCompany
Car Provided NoOverview
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy,
financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment
to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others
recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top
Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years,
and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial
Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a
super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent)
by A.M. Best Company.
The Underwriting Manager - Online Quoting Division is responsible
for leading the Online Quoting Division Underwriting Department,
directing and assisting staff in meeting production and loss ratio
goals; staff hiring, planning, training and development (including
1:1 meetings), developing & executing business plans, implementing
& developing competitive and profitable rates & products,
maximizing opportunities in regional territory (including state and
product expansion), identifying solutions to meet customer needs,
contributing to company initiatives, supporting the other regional
managers (Marketing, Risk Control, Audit, Support Staff) and
operating within budget. Responsible for fostering a constructive
culture where all members contribute to our success.
- Management & Service
- Plan and develop department structure, communicate policies,
recommend staffing levels, direct staff development, encourage and
support effective staff working relationships, reconcile and
resolve department conflict.
- Be a resource on risk evaluation, selection, rating and
determination of policy terms and conditions.
- Underwriting Profitability
- Develop and implement underwriting standards and
- Recommend to Regional Manager rating strategy, forms, and
filings for each line of business and for each Program.
- Prepare supporting materials
- Review and analyze underwriting results to evaluate department
- Develop & implement strategy to improve or enhance
- Audit underwriting files to monitor quality of
- Production & Agency Relations
- Contribute to identifying opportunities for growth of agencies,
products and Programs, including partnering the right underwriter
with the right agencies.
- Work with various corporate departments and other regions to
keep UFG products and services current and competitive within the
- College degree plus five to ten years overall insurance
experience, four years in risk selection, three years in
- CIC or CPCU is required (CPCU designation is preferred)
- 5+ years of overall insurance experience
- 4+ years of experience in risk selection
- 3+ years of supervisory experienc
- A visionary, solutions-oriented leader with the ability to
identify, analyze and resolve problems, motivate and develop staff,
recognize and meet customer needs and to effectively plan and
execute a business strategy.
- Strong technical skills
- Good understanding of insurance coverages
- Ability and willingness to make decisions and accept
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communication both written and verbal with the
flexibility to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
- Ability to coach, mentor & develop employees.
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , Underwriting Manager - Online Quoting Division, Executive , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!