Manager of Project Management
Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: June 13, 2019
Job ID 2019-2039# of Openings 1Job Locations US-IA-Cedar
RapidsPosted Date 2019-06-03Category Project Management
OfficeTravel NoneCompany Car Provided NoOverview
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy,
financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment
to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others
recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top
Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years,
and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial
Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a
super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent)
by A.M. Best Company.
The Project Management Manager is responsible for providing
leadership and mentorship for a dedicated team of project managers
that is tackling both complex technical and non-technical projects
so UFG can achieve strategic objectives. Build positive business
relationships, work through complex technical challenges and ensure
internal teams have what they need to be successful. Motivate
employees to achieve objectives and create an environment that
enables peak performance. Manage corporate wide projects by working
with business and PMO leaders to evaluate scope of work, establish
reasonable timelines and manage expectations. Ensure team follows
UFG's project management processes (ProMOTE) to maintain a uniform
approach to projects. For groups of related projects that are
organized into programs, manage the overall effort to successfully
implement those projects. Manage complex, strategic projects that
span organizational boundaries and functional areas.
- Directly lead a team of project managers.
- Coach, manage and develop employees by establishing clear
goals, expectations, and strategies for employee performance.
- Work with employees to establish action plans and timelines.
Support employee career development by assessing training needs and
providing opportunities to excel (work on Employee Development
Plans, where applicable).
- Perform project audits for your direct reports following the
criteria outlined in ProMOTE.
- Objectively evaluate employee performance and reward
performance through recognition and merit salary increases.
Effectively communicate organizational changes with clarity and
- Lead team to manage projects prioritized by Business Leadership
Council and various Governing Bodies.
- Lead team to develop, implement and manage detailed
cross-functional project plans, activities and deliverables to
achieve timeline and scope objectives.
- Work with the other Program Managers and IT team leads to
determine resource alignment to support new projects.
- Oversee the management of groups of related projects which are
managed by individual project managers.
- Meet regularly with the project manager(s) to discuss project
status, scope, and risks.
- Identify relationships and dependencies between the projects
and coordinate release dates.
- Serve as the Release Manager on a rotating basis.
- Coordinate activities related to a multi-system release. This
includes but is not limited to the following:
- Reach out to PMO and IT staff a few weeks ahead of the release
to find out which systems are participating.
- Set up and manage the multi-system release project in
- Update contact information for all people participating in the
- Manage the coordination of activities on the actual release
weekend (tracking against the schedule set up in the project).
- Regularly review technology offerings to stay current on new
- Attend training classes and seminars as needed.
- Work closely with business information users to identify and
forecast new business needs.
- Four-year college degree in business or related
- Certified or working towards a Project Management Professional
- Insurance coursework or designations in the following areas are
desirable: General Insurance, Associate in Personal Insurance,
Associate in Commercial Underwriting, Associate in Automation
Information Technology or Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
- Employees are expected to participate in insurance classes,
project management coursework and in-house training programs
throughout their careers.
- 5 to 10 years of experience managing large, complex,
comprehensive, integrated projects.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- 5 years of insurance experience preferred.
- Experience with project management software tools.
- Experience with generating documentation including project
schedules, project templates, status reports and more.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Strong leadership, facilitation, negotiation, mentoring and
personnel management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of project management principles and
- Understanding of our corporate strategies and the operational
issues of our business units.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; the ability
to work well with people from many disciplines and with varying
degrees of business and technical experience.
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both
verbally and in writing, to diverse groups of people.
- Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage
multiple priorities and work under deadlines.
- Technical background sufficient to understand the issues
involved with our automation projects, and be able to anticipate
and identify technical obstacles and make good decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with business leaders,
insurance agents and customers, vendors, and IT staff.
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , Manager of Project Management, Executive , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!