Regional Claims Manager
Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: January 16, 2019
Job ID 2019-1929# of Openings 1Job Locations US-IA-Cedar RapidsPosted Date 2019-01-11Category ClaimsTravel 50%Company Car Provided NoOverview
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years, and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
The Regional Claims Manager is primarily responsible for the overall direction and to provide guidance to the regional claims operation. They will assist claims supervisors with monitoring and directing the adjustment of claims by staff and independent Claim Representatives as needed. In addition, the Claims Manager assists in interviewing applicants and executes disciplinary actions when necessary. This position is full-time with benefits (medical, vision, dental, 401K). The ideal candiadte lives within the Webster or surrounding areas.
- Overall responsibility, within allotted authority, for Regional Claims operation.
- Instruct, assign, review, plan, allocate personnel, act on employee problems, select new employees, and recommend salary increases for Claims personnel.
- Review and respond to reports and enclosures directed to claim files. Analyze investigative material for liability exposure, coverage and damages to determine reserves and settlement values. Follow consistent reserve practices with a slightly pessimistic attitude to achieve the company guideline of overall reserve of mid single-digit redundancies.
- Maintain contact with corporate claims personnel and counsel as necessary. Provide direction, control and guidance to those for whom responsible, including defense counsel.
- Be constantly aware of the expense factor in claims handling; whether by company representative, independent or defense counsel, in order to achieve company standards.
- Keep an active diary file and regularly review claims being supervised by others where the potential for large exposure exists. Offer comments and constructive criticism as needed in written form.
- Review daily, monthly and quarterly system reports as directed by VP of Claims. Complete reporting of goals and objectives and statistical data derived from review of reports.
- Generate and review reinsurance reports for adequacy, accuracy and clarity prior to forwarding to Corporate Claims for approval and filing. Coordinate and participate in audits by various reinsurers.
- Conduct or attend meetings, conduct or assist in performance appraisals, handle salary administration, selection of personnel, terminations, training and counseling. Maintain records of permanence for all subordinates. Review and monitor territories within the region for workload/personnel adequacy. Screen and approve or disapprove requests for agent draft authority. Respond to complaints or inquiries.
- Conduct or assist in audits of randomly selected regional office files on a regular basis to ensure United Fire Group claim procedures and philosophies are being followed. At the discretion of the incumbent and in agreement with management, conduct round table discussions at the Regional Office on files selected by the region that involve large exposure or unique coverage situations.
- Research and stay current on changes in coverages, policies, and appropriate statutory or case law. Communicate the necessary information to the staff. Conduct classes as needed on changes, techniques, and other pertinent items of concern to the region.
- Maintain open lines of communication with corporate claims, underwriting, auditing/inspection, marketing, and agents operating within the region.
- Four year college degree preferred
- AIC, SCLA or Legal Principles, CCLA and PCLA of the AEI series or be willing and able to complete one within 3 years.
- CPCU designation or working towards.
- Must meet the appropriate state licensing laws required to handle "multi line" claims.
- 7 - 10 years total experience in Commercial P&C Claims
- 5 - 7 years of supervisory experience
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Ability to effectively communication both verbally and written.
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , Regional Claims Manager, Executive , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!