Quality Manager Shell Rock, IA
Location: Shell Rock
Posted on: August 6, 2022
ABOUT POETAt POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the
Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other
valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty
years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to
become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader
in biobased products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture,
POET team members enjoy competitive pay and benefits including;
- Attractive Relocation Assistance and Bonus Program
- Competitive pay, including night-shift premium pay for
- Quarterly Profit-Sharing Bonuses, and Bi-Annual Value Share
- Individual and family plans for health, dental, & vision
insurance, including a generous employer Health Savings Account
- Paid Parental Leave
- A multifaceted wellness program encompassing the whole person -
mentally, physically, and spiritually.
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- 401K with company match
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Excellent work-life balance with a 'family-first' culture
- Safety and cold weather gear reimbursements
- Discounted home and auto insurance
JOB SUMMARYThe Quality Manager is responsible for the day-to-day
management of all activities associated with the laboratory as well
as facilitating the transfer of all incoming and outgoing data from
the facility to third-party laboratories. The team member in this
position monitors plant operations and final product quality via
laboratory data and ensures maximum production quantity and final
product quality while following procedures relating to production
and safety of the plant. The Quality Manager plays a lead role in
monitoring, troubleshooting, and optimizing the fermentation
process. The Quality Manager also oversees all quality
certification/accreditation programs and is responsible for
maintaining the facilities certification status to all quality
programs, including: EQA -, AFQA -, the POET BPX In-situ Kernel
Fiber Pathway, and SQF/GFSI (when applicable). DURING A TYPICAL DAY
(IF THERE IS ONE), YOU WILL:
- Effectively lead your team by recruiting, selecting, orienting,
and training team members. Leadership responsibilities also include
delegation, coaching and performance management, and career
development to effectively execute departmental strategies and
support company objectives.
- Manage all aspects of quality control in the laboratory.
- Be accountable for laboratory team members and lab work that is
completed to include sampling procedures and reported results.
- Ensure team members are trained in all aspects of existing
- Establish testing protocols that ensure tests can be reproduced
with accurate results.
- Ensure all city, county, state, and federal regulations are met
as they apply to the laboratory.
- Assist in optimizing plant runtime as well as downtime by
ensuring a quality end product through support of laboratory
operations and sample analyses.
- Manage quality control on all final products.
- Ensure all QC Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), both
laboratory and product, are up to date and followed.
- Communicate discrepancies with product quality to the
appropriate management team.
- Optimize ingredient usage and yield and maximize the efficiency
of the fermentation process by reviewing and analyzing data.
- Monitor fermentation and provide data/reports to the management
team to help troubleshoot and optimizing the fermentation
- Work with operations and management on special testing and
- Maintain and enforce all laboratory safety programs and
- Oversee water testing results.
- Ensure quality assurance testing on supporting laboratory
equipment is conducted at the required frequency as established by
- Prepare annual budget and monitor cost control for the
- Present capital request justifications to management.
- Communicate production and laboratory performance results to
the plant team and POET Bioprocessing.
- Ensure ongoing certification to the Fuel Ethanol Quality
Assurance Program (EQA).
- Ensure participation in all Laboratory Proficiency Testing
Programs as established by EQA and POET SOP.
- Ensure ongoing certification to the Animal Food Quality
Assurance Program (AFQA).
- Ensure ongoing compliance to the POET BPX In-situ Kernel Fiber
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance
at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in
- Since we're all about teamwork and getting the job done, your
skill may be put to a lot of other uses! STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology,
Biology or related science required.
- 3 years lab experience required.
- Experience in lab operations with a strong background in lab
quality control and standard lab practices required.
- Prior experience with managing quality programs preferred.
- Prior HPLC, IC and NIR experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communications
skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You're capable
of learning new programs.
GROWTH OPPORTUNITIESAt POET we believe in developing our team
members to their highest potential and recognizing contributions
that add value to the organization. Each new team member's position
and compensation are carefully determined by considering their
unique qualifications and skillset. WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Culture is king at POET. We're all on the same team. We always
communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren't just
slogans on our walls. It's the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires
understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team
members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements in
all work environments. This position operates in multiple work
environments, including a plant environment, a laboratory
environment as well as an office environment. In the lab, the team
member will work with a range of analytical instrumentation,
multiple chemical reagents, and perform various wet chemistry
tests. In the office, the team member will work on a personal
computer. In the plant environment, the team member may be exposed
to noise, heat, and other elements both inside and outside. While
performing the duties of this position, the team member will be
exposed to moving, mechanical parts, dusty conditions, high noise
levels, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and
exposed to chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight
of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from
-20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools.
Keywords: POET, Cedar Rapids , Quality Manager Shell Rock, IA, Executive , Shell Rock, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!