Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: April 17, 2019
Job ID 2019-1965# of Openings 1Job Locations US-IA-Cedar
RapidsPosted Date 2019-02-28Category Information TechnologyTravel
NoneCompany Car Provided NoOverview
UFG can offer you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy,
financially-stable company. While we've always known our commitment
to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others
recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was named to the "2018 Top
Workplaces" list by The Des Moines Register, and was also included
on the Forbes' America's Most Trustworthy Financial Companies" list
for 2015, 2016 and 2017. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional
property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best
UFG is looking to add a DevOps Engineer to our growing IS group.
This role will work collaboratively with software developers to
deploy and operate our core systems, help automate and streamline
our operations and process and build and maintain tools for
deployment, monitoring, and operations, troubleshoot and resolve
issues in our development, test, QA, and production
- Build, configure, and troubleshoot software and hardware
enhancements, application deployments and infrastructure
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration
- Provide hands-on system administration support, system
maintenance and operations support.
- Perform daily monitoring to maintain availability of production
and development servers.
- Keep server operating systems up-to-date with released
- Perform, configure and install upgrades, new installations,
enhancements and configuration changes to new servers and/or
- Develop plans and procedures for disaster recovery for new and
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams maintain and enhance
the functionality of the UFG website and Intranet
- Server, router, switch, application, etc. software levels are
maintained at currently released levels.
- Develop and maintain regular status reports
- Research, evaluate and recommend new and innovative
technologies, software and hardware enhancements.
- Provide support per help desk request by investigation and
troubleshooting issues and keep personnel updated on problem
- Provides technical assistance to members of the desktop support
team where necessary
- Maintain up to date and relevant documentation in support of
the different platforms/programs
- Associates Degree in Computer Science or related field or
equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of development experience with Java, Intellij, Apache
Tomcat, SQL is required.
- Experience with Git and continuous build integration
- Experience with automated testing, both front end and backend
- Willingness to work on both new product development and legacy
- Work experience with Microsoft operating systems, Networking
hardware and software, Microsoft back-office applications,
Microsoft Networking (Active Directory), Citrix, Server backup
software, IIS, etc.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good to Expert knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems (2008,
- Good to Expert knowledge of automation and configuration
- Good to Expert knowledge of open source technologies and cloud
services, such as AWS
- Strong experience with SQL and MySQL
- A working understanding of coding and scripting languages, such
as Powershell, Python, and Pearl.
- Basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and
procedures within IT operations.
- Ability to solve problems, see relationships and visualize
information flows with the United Fire Group organization.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Minimum of five years' work experience with development and
deployment tools preferred
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , DevOps Engineer, Engineering , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!