Senior Surety Underwriter
Company: United Fire Group
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posted on: June 15, 2019
Job ID 2019-2019# of Openings 1Job Locations US-IA-Cedar
RapidsPosted Date 2019-05-08Category SuretyTravel 25%Company Car
UFG offers you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy,
financially stable company. While we've always known our commitment
to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others
recognize our dedicated efforts. We've been named an Iowa Top
Workplace by the Des Moines Register for four consecutive years,
and included on Forbes' "America's Most Trustworthy Financial
Companies" every year since 2014. Additionally, UFG is a
super-regional property and casualty insurer rated "A" (Excellent)
by A.M. Best Company.
Most important, UFG can offer you a work environment where you can
easily see yourself in the big picture from day one. You become
part of a successful team that works together to do great things.
In addition, we believe in supporting our employees by providing a
great benefits plan and allowing our people to develop flexible
work hours that align with their personal schedule.
As a senior regional surety underwriter, you'll be the primary
relationship manager for surety business within your territory,
focused on marketing, managing and underwriting a new and renewal
surety book of business through contact with select agencies and
brokers. You'll drive profit and premium to meet financial goals
and objectives through development, negotiation and execution of
business plans. This includes leading and influencing agencies
through the creation of sales strategies and implementation of
sales processes and practices that drive new sales, profit and
customer retention. Under limited direction, you'll underwrite
accounts based on authority level granted to the role and
underwriting appetite. Additionally, you'll be collaborating with
all lines of business to support and increase the overall UFG
presence in your territory, provide the quality service UFG is
known for and promote a positive company image.
With a company focus on long-term growth, an important
responsibility of this position will be identifying areas of
opportunity and cultivating new and renewal contract surety
- Efficiently underwrite new surety submissions. Gather
information regarding financial status, credit standing, and
organization profit to analyze and determine acceptability of the
- Interaction with professional NASBP member agents as well as
other agents who do business with United Fire Group.
- Develop a profitable book of surety business of varying degrees
of complexity for assigned territory, taking into consideration the
strengths and weaknesses of the producer plant /territory and
competitors, divisional objectives and overall market
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority
based on appropriate underwriting information consultation.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/
information in account management systems and adherence to
- Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with market segment
requirements and standards within submission timeframe.
- Attend selected industry events that provide interactions with
producers and/or potential accounts.
- Responsibility for building and maintaining effective business
relationships with internal and external customers/coworkers in
order to attract and retain profitable business.
- Travel is required with frequent overnight stays; up to 20 to
25% of time will be traveling. Must have a valid driver's
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Minimum Seven to ten years' experience in contract surety
- Four year college degree is required; majors in Accounting,
Business Administration, Finance or Economics are preferred.
- Must demonstrate the strong analytical skills needed to
evaluate new submissions for acceptability within company
- Experienced in new market development; ability to prospect,
appoint and manage producer relationships to achieve production and
- Solid following of existing broker and agency relationships
within the assigned geographic region.
- Independently exhibit initiative with strong focus on
- Proficient in: risk evaluation, contract knowledge, common
sense judgment, and the ability to see the big picture.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), influencing,
negotiating, listening, and interpersonal skills to effectively
develop/maintain productive internal and external
- Be actively engaged in additional industry and professional
development and designations (AFSB, CPCU, MBA, etc.). Additional
classes and training may be required.
Keywords: United Fire Group, Cedar Rapids , Senior Surety Underwriter, Accounting, Auditing , Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!